Re: 401 ("unauthenticated" v.s. "unauthorized")

I think that this an attempt to propose clarification, which is good,
because this is confusing:

The 401 (Unauthorized) status code indicates that the request has not
   been applied because it lacks valid authentication credentials for
   the target resource

A server that receives valid credentials which are not adequate to
   gain access ought to respond with the 403 (Forbidden) status code
   (Section 6.5.3 of [Part2
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-26#ref-Part2>])

There's rather an overlap between those, and consequently quite a lack of

clarity about which should be used when.

Grahame

--
-----
http://www.healthintersections.com.au / grahame@healthintersections.com.au