Re: hpack static table question?

From: Nicholas Hurley <hurley@todesschaf.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 09:44:18 -0700
To: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>
Cc: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>, IETF HTTP WG <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Ilari Liusvaara <ilari.liusvaara@elisanet.fi>, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com>
I was wondering this about a month back, when I was helping debug an issue
centered around this case (a copy of a static entry being evicted). So I
looked back in the list archives, and saw that basically, some people
wanted setting the table size to 0 to mean that literally no state was
kept, not even references to the static table. (I'm on my phone, so no link
to the thread, sorry.)

Personally, I think it's silly, too (it means that periodically I have to
send an indexed representation that I wouldn't have to if I could put
static :method GET headers in the reference set). But it's what we have,
and I have to re-send :method if some resources are POST anyway, so it's
not a big loss. This is why I didn't bring it up a month ago.

Personally, while I'm not a fan of this restriction, I'd rather keep the
spec as is so we can get to last call sooner.
--
Peace,
  -Nick