Re: Negotiating compression

On 29 May 2014 00:36, Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au> wrote:
> Perhaps it would be better to use h2f for failsafe mode, to make it clear
> that h2 is the benchmark, and h2f is an acceptable variant/subset. It's more
> of an all-or-nothing approach that way. It also fits the "add a letter,
> remove a feature" pattern established with h2c and security.

Please no.  That's not a pattern worth repeating.  I know that we've
discussed a limited profile in the past, but that was used to prime
initial state.

I haven't seen any justification for creating a protocol variation.
See Section 3.4 of RFC 6709:

Note: h2c is a protocol variation in some ways, but it's merely
propagating an existing variation.