Re: Negotiating compression

From: David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 22:27:52 +0800
Cc: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Simone Bordet <simone.bordet@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Jason Greene <jason.greene@redhat.com>

On 2014Ė05Ė29, at 9:51 PM, Jason Greene <jason.greene@redhat.com> wrote:

>> On May 29, 2014, at 1:40 AM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>>
>> These ones could be advertised in the ALPN name (h2 = failsafe, h2h =
>> hpack version for example) so that we don't need an extra round trip
>> to know what is supported.
>
> You mean disable/disallow the Huffman encoding bit in HPACK right? HPACK with a size 0 table is easy for embedded devices (and everyone else), offers decent reduction in header sizes, and runs no risk of a CRIME style attack.

Iíve just started debugging an 8-bit friendly Huffman decoder. It looks like under a kilobyte of code & tables, and on the order of 100 instructions executed per symbol. (Could be less than a hundred, could be more. Havenít profiled yet.)

Huffman is just a drop in the bucket. Iíll share the code when itís working.