Re: Negotiating compression

From: Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 22:18:53 +0300
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>

On May 28, 2014, at 8:40 PM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> The DoS surface with HTTP headers is not increased over HTTP/1 (which also would suffer from a requirement to tear down the transport when that kind if thing happens, unlike HTTP2).
>
> I believe I've mentioned before seeing rare, but multi-Mb headers in the past. We had, before that experience, amusingly assumed that 16k was enough for anyone, and were wrong by orders of magnitude.

So I’m wondering. Some of us (not all) seem to be OK with telling some use cases to stick with HTTP/1, like printing or IoT or many of the other places that are outside HTTP/2 “design space”. Why are we going to such lengths to support this abuse of the protocol. Is it just because HTTP/1 allows it?

Yoav