Re: Negotiating compression

On 27 May 2014 11:52, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com> wrote:
> And the issue is not just complexity but overhead - Huffman coding alone
> requires relatively slow bit manipulations, the header tables add to the
> memory overhead of every connection, and proxies get to do header processing
> twice...  Not a big deal on a desktop machine with a dozen connections, but
> embedded devices and proxies have tighter constraints.

Let's be very clear about the costs here.  The only cost you cannot
avoid is the cost of Huffman decoding.  At a proxy, processing costs
can be turned into memory costs relatively trivially and then
amortized across multiple connections.  A constrained device pays one
way or other, but those costs are trivial in comparison to other costs
that device incurs.

The argument for a setting incurs complexity that is - at least in my
opinion - a wash when compared to a simple Huffman decoder.

My original point was focused on the concerns some raised regarding security.