Re: Support for gzip at the server #424 (Consensus Call)

Technically this looks good to me (a little better after mnot's tweaks).

I'm left wondering:

* What does it mean for a server to receive an encoded payload? E.g. if I
PUT a gzipped file, should the server store the gzip file? And/or should it
use it to generate/overwrite an unzipped copy? And if so, what metadata
does the unzipped copy get?

* How does one convey that^ decision, and other options, to the user? I'm
imagining a file upload dialog that says either "Any file you upload
(including a gzip file) will be stored as-is", or "If you upload a gzip
file it may be unzipped at the server before being processed" with a
checkbox to allow the user to instruct the UA to send it as
this was not intended to be used in browsers, but ... <dramatic ellipsis>.

* Also: how does it play with RFC 1867/2388? At a glance I'd imagine that
any content-encoding is decoded before the multipart/form-data is parsed;
are there any emergent issues with that?

As a completionist I like that this proposal fills in a gap, and I think
there is value in having it specified, but overall it feels like we might
be packing yet more transport compression into entity encoding, rather than
addressing the existing mess.

--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/