Re: END_STREAM flag and trailing headers

From: David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 11:08:05 +0800
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On 2014–05–09, at 2:16 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> The question about a safe method that allows a request body comes up over and over, and right now people use POST for it. If we ever define that method, it won't be supported in HTTP2 push.

Can you clarify? Pushes eliminate (or “skip over”) the request by definition. Pushing a redirect or error simply anticipates a client request with such a response. POST (or anything with a request body) would usually bypass prior PUSH_PROMISEs along with the rest of the cache. An exception to this rule could be defined in HTTP/2 using multiple header blocks, and perhaps segmentation: push the request, then the response. But, it would have to be an application-specific extension for now.