Re: HPACK problems (was http/2 & hpack protocol review)

From: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 11:34:57 +0100
To: Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com>
Cc: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, "K.Morgan@iaea.org" <K.Morgan@iaea.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "C.Brunhuber@iaea.org" <C.Brunhuber@iaea.org>
On 6 May 2014 11:30, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reference set actually does not contain duplicates because its element
> is a reference to the header table entry.
> On the other hand, the header table may have duplicates.  This is covered by
> the spec:
>
> [..snip..]
>
> This means that we must expect duplicated header fields and multiple header
> fields sharing same name in header set as input to HPACK.

I'm happy with the header table itself having duplicates, I'm
concerned about the header _set_ (see what I mean about the ambiguity
of the spec?). The header table is a list of headers that we can
reference, but the header _set_ is defined as follows:

> Header Set: A header set is an unordered group of header fields that
> are encoded jointly.  A complete set of key-value pairs contained
> in a HTTP request or response is a header set.

Are we allowed duplicates in here? The spec doesn't seem to say
anything about them.