Re: Header Field definition is too broad

From: Dmitry Filimonov <me@dfilimonov.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 21:37:14 +0400
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Oh yeah, now it makes sense.
Thank you guys!
On 1 May 2014 at 20:52:05, Martin Thomson (martin.thomson@gmail.com) wrote:

On 1 May 2014 08:00, Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t@gmail.com> wrote:
> But when we do HTTP/2, HPACK is used from HTTP/2 framing layer which uses
> HTTP header fields that is still conforming to HTTP/1 spec (although we have
> HTTP/2 specific headers starting with ":").

That's right.

HPACK encodes a greater range of values than HTTP header fields
legally permit so that we can pass header fields that don't have
conforming syntax as well. As it turns out, there are lots of those
in widespread use (UTF-8 encoding being fairly prominent).

Of course, those header fields are still not legal header fields.