Re: Making Implicit C-E work.

[snipping]

On Apr 30, 2014 4:44 PM, "Roberto Peon" <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But even so, why do you have to fix it in HTTP/2? And why does it hurt
h2 to *not* fix it?

> Compression is an important part of making latency decrease/performance
increase, and, frankly, there is little practical motivation to deploy
HTTP/2 if it doesn't succeed in reducing latency/increase performance.

Do the other improvements in HTTP/2 not give those successes? Or are you
saying that they're not enough without ubiquitous payload compression?

>> > The proxy, when forwarding the server's response to the HTTP/1 client,
must ensure that the data is uncompressed when forwarding to the HTTP/1
client since the client didn't ask for c-e gzip.

>> Cache-Control:no-transform explicitly forbids the proxy from altering
the representation. It's not allowed to decompress it.

> In fact what we're doing is offering two representations simultaneously.

It's a very messy way of doing it, though, and it makes me nervous. Too
many edge cases, too many potential holes. That's ok for a de facto
standard or something, but not for a formal IETF spec. And it strikes me as
a big disincentive to adoption.

To get it right would hold back HTTP/2 (unneccessarily, I say), so don't
rush it in there. Hold off for the next iteration. I'd be happy if HTTP/3
focused solely on fixing compression. I suspect others would be too.