Re: Indicating Chosen Service #443

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 09:12:28 -0700
To: Erik Nygren <erik@nygren.org>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 25 April 2014 07:08, Erik Nygren <erik@nygren.org> wrote:
> d) a HEADER sent early in the connection on streamid 0 with something like:
>      { ":svc", "h2;alt.example.com:443" }

That's probably not a good idea.  HEADERS already means a lot of
different things, in particular it's used to open a stream.  So that
might be a way to open the door to a whole plethora of bugs.  Or at
least complexity.

> I do wonder if we'll keep running into other cases where we want
> connection-level key/value extensibility without needing to add new frame
> types each time?

I think that I've seen enough evidence to suggest that we might want
to at least leave the issue of extensibility open until the next
meeting.