#445: Transfer-Codings

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:44:07 +1000
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
<https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/445>

After a fair amount of discussion on list, we have a proposal:
  <https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/pull/463>

I understand that a number of implementers are not planning to do this (just as they don't do Transfer-Encoding: gzip), but there is significant interest from non-browser folks here, and it gets us closer to feature parity with HTTP/1.

I also don't hear any arguments that it's fundamentally harmful to include -- just that some aren't interested in implementing it for their use case. So, my inclination is to include it in the implementation draft, barring a new argument against it that is convincing.

Note that the concerns in #423 also apply to this (it could be argued even more so than with content-codings), so we'll need to discuss that and come to a resolution there.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/