Re: HTTP/2 Priorities Proposal

From: Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:53:10 -0700
To: Peter Lepeska <bizzbyster@gmail.com>
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM, <bizzbyster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will's original document on priorities included a few use cases that I'm
> fuzzy on how they would work in this new proposal. For example, let's say
> my browser is set to open two tabs to webpage1 and webpage2 when I first
> launch it. Let's say that webpage1 is the foreground tab initially but I
> immediately decide to click on webpage2 while both pages are loading.
> Changing the priority of the objects to reflect this was an easy thing to
> do with priority groups but I'm fuzzy on how this would work using Jeff's
> priorities proposal.  Can someone clarify?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter

Simply send a PRIORITY frame for the root dependency of webpage2 to
increase its weight.

For example, let's say you have

root --(256)-- webpage1/ .... webpage 1 dependencies
      \--(16)-- webpage2/ .... webpage 2 dependencies

where webpage1 has weight 256 because it was the foreground tab. If the
user clicks on webpage2, send a PRIORITY frame for webpage2 with the same
0x0 dependency but with a higher weight. You can even send another for
webpage1 with the a lower weight.