Re: Transfer-codings, mandatory content-coding support and intermediaries

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Likewise, restricting packet sizes to a small length in order to prevent
> fools from HOL blocking their own multiplexed channels makes some sense, for
> browser developers.  However, it actively harms applications of HTTP that
> are not interested in multiplexing because they only want to transmit a
> single large data stream. [E.g., for SSH, we have
> "http://www.psc.edu/index.php/hpn-ssh".]

TL;DR: I don't think the SSH lesson tells us that small frame sizes are
necessarily bad.

The longer version:

I've spent some time implementing SSH based protocols and I've analyzed SCP
and SFTP performance (within the realms of the libssh2 project).

I think you misrepresent the problem hpn-ssh addresses slightly. It is about
"SSH buffer sizes", and specifically about the ones used by OpenSSH. It is not
a problem with SSH (the protocol) packet sizes.

SSH has a stream and flow control concept very similar to http2 so yes,
clients that want maximum throughput for large contents may find themselves
wanting to announce a (very) large window to the peer.

The big problem with packet sizes within the SSH family, I would say, is for
sub protocols such as SFTP which suffers greatly from RTT and forces
implementations to do crazy "pipelining" attempts to overcome that. But that's
even more off-topic here!

--

  / daniel.haxx.se