From: Jeff Pinner [jpinner@twitter.com]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 5:52 PM
To: Daniel Sommermann
Cc: Martin Thomson; William Chan (³ÂÖDzý); HTTP Working Group
Subject: Re: GOAWAY and proxies (#458)

For each server (not each connection), we periodically heathcheck the server at some interval. The server when failing healthchecks, must disallow new connections and allow old connections to drain gracefully. It must only send GOAWAY frames for session level errors. The reverse proxy is responsible for loadbalancing between new and existing connections and for deciding when a connection becomes unusable (for example we consider it draining when half of the available stream IDs have been used).