Re: Alt-Svc related Chromium bug report (proxy related)

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:12:29 -0700
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Erik Nygren <erik@nygren.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 19 April 2014 23:36, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> The draft wording however is not limited to "proxies". Which was my
> initial report of there being a problem.

Mark already suggested that the wording needed to be changed from
"intermediary" to "proxy".  I think that suffices.

> The problem is interaction of the Alt-Svc HTTP/1 header since it is
> end-to-end but places semantics of:
>
> case A)
>   bypassing an entire chain of proxies by diverting the client to an
> entire alternate path.
>
> case B)
>  breaking connectivity, by informing the client about an Alt-Svc which
> is impossibel for it to contact.

Neither is an issue because Alt-Svc expressly states that:

"The client is not required to block requests; the origin's connection
can be used until the alternative connection is established."

That means that if the new path doesn't work (network policy, broken
header, or for any reason...), then the existing connection is good.