Re: Alt-Svc related Chromium bug report (proxy related)

On 17 April 2014 15:22, Erik Nygren <erik@nygren.org> wrote:
> 2) What happens for clients talking HTTP/2 to a proxy with the proxy talking
> HTTP/2 to the origin?  Would an ALTSVC frame referencing a different server
> and using TLS get passed through meaning that the client needs to now
> CONNECT through to do TLS?

ALTSVC frames need to be consumed, not passed through.  If the proxy
did that, then it's responsible for the consequences.  But I don't see
how this would fail.

> 3) What happens with clients talking HTTP/1 to a proxy when the proxy is
> talking HTTP/2 to the origin and gets an ALTSVC frame pointing to a
> different host?  Presumably the proxy needs to drop it?

Same answer as above.

The real concern here is the Alt-Svc header field, which will (likely)
be passed the whole way through.  CDNs should probably remove the
header field and maybe add their own, since they either act as a new
origin server or gateway.  Proxies might want to drop the header field
in the case where they aren't able to (or don't want to) support the
alternative.