Re: Porting T-E to HTTP/2: Reasons Against

From: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 10:19:20 +1000
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
I'm happy to explore other avenues. I'm also happy to defer the discussion
until HTTP/3.

I still believe there's a significant case that HTTP/2 doesn't address,
that HTTP/1.1 (theoretically) does: allowing compression after
entity-specific operations (such as ranges).

If T-E is not the right way, I would want to discuss other mechanisms; and
since those would likely modify HTTP semantics, not to mention requiring
lengthy debate, it should wait for HTTP/3.

Others may have a stronger opinion about the importance of T-E in HTTP/2.

Cheers
--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/