Re: BLOCKED frame specification

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 19:28:05 +1000
Cc: Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@gmail.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Hasan Khalil <mian.hasan.khalil@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com>

On 9 Apr 2014, at 6:53 pm, David Krauss <potswa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then why doesn’t PING suffice? You can send it at any time and there’s space for an implementation-defined payload value.

My understanding from the discussion in London was that the folks proposing this want to see an interoperable way to do this, rather than ad hoc, implementation-specific ways to do it.

The observation that Hasan (or Roberto; forget which) made was that flow control debugging was possible between Chrome and Google because they're relatively tightly bound, and they can coordinate things like that. If it were (insert client here) and (some random Web site), debugging gets a lot harder.

(again, I'm just reiterating what I understood to be the argument for this expressed F2F in London)

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/