Re: Issues addressed in the -24 drafts (and getting to IETF Last Call)

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 04:38:28PM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Please have a look at the issues below; barring objections, I'll close them.
>
> Issues are linked from <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/report/15>.
>
> non-specific
> #475  Strengthening SHOULDs

Content-Range with PUT is used in the wild.

Specifically, often to upload huge amounts of data (I have seen 36GB+
transfer lasting for days) with client being able to resume transfer
from where it left off if the connection fails partway for any reason.

Here's docs for one:
https://developers.google.com/youtube/2.0/developers_guide_protocol_resumable_uploads

And there are probably several inspired by that protocol (I'm
aware of one such thing, that also happens to insta-400 any PUT
without Content-Range).

And I don't see how full and partial PUT could be confused, unless
servers ignore Content-Range, which violates MUST-understand-or-reject
requirement in RFC2616 (but that wouldn't really be surprising,
given what happened to Expect) or client is just plain buggy
(in which case all bets are off).

-Ilari