Re: [perpass] HTTP user-agent fingerprinting

From: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:42:07 -0400
Cc: "Patrick Pelletier" <code@funwithsoftware.org>, "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, perpass@ietf.org
To: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
Nicolas Mailhot [2013-09-16T12:34]:
> User-Agent is invaluable for filtering out pathologic web clients in a network without bothering legitimate users.

* At which level do you need to filter out? (proxy, server, )
* Which type of clients? (bot, browser, etc?)
* Why do you need to filter out?
* What are you looking for in the UA string?

/me is interested to know. I'm kind of collecting how the UA string is used out in the wild in good and bad ways.

--
Karl Dubost
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/