Re: Expect: + Upgrade: = ...

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 13:30:31 -0700
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>, Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 5 September 2013 11:17, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> Using both Expect: 100-continue and Upgrade, at the same time,
> will work fine -- it can be implemented as already specified.
> 100 is required to be sent first.

Reading http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-23#section-6.7,
this wasn't obvious, should it be?

No question that it is the right thing to do: complete the HTTP/1.1
request before proceeding with the next protocol; otherwise the client
side of the connection is in an indeterminate state.  (It needn't be,
but the alternative would depend on 100-continue being consistently
implemented, and we know that hasn't happened.)