Re: Mandatory encryption *is* theater

Just chiming in here since I'm concerned that a misinterpretation of the
minutes may have led to an accidental straw man argument.

Eliot, can you clarify what section of the minutes you're responding to? I
see only one hum for HTTP/2:
"""
Who believes that these issues are worthy of further discussion: Hum in
support:strong hum. Hum against: silence. Good, and we are now at the end of
the alloted time for this.
"""

I don't see anything on humming on mandatory encryption. I note that
there's a section of the minutes where Larry and Mark are clarifying the
topic, since Larry said the topic was introduced as mandatory to implement
security, whereas Mark clarified:
"""
Mark says “mandatory to offer” is closer
to what he said.
"""

So, I don't believe "mandatory encryption" was even discussed at the last
IETF, merely mandatory to offer [i forget if it was security or encryption,
but I suspect encryption]. And let's be precise about the language, since
security != encryption. You mentioned encryption, and then talked about
certificate warnings. Let's remember you can try to encrypt without
authenticating the peer.

Now, we can have a debate about whether or not mandatory encryption is
security theater, but I think no one is beating that drum right now
(although I won't preclude the possibility of someone stepping up to do
so). So it's probably best to stick to the topic that we discussed at the
last IETF, namely mandatory to offer [encryption?], unless someone would
like to discuss mandatory encryption right now.

Cheers.