RE: CONTINUATION Frame Size

From: Manger, James H <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 16:24:52 +1000
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
CC: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

From: Martin Thomson [mailto:martin.thomson@gmail.com]
> As long as HEADERS depend on some sort of state, then it is easier to
> require exclusive access to that state (mutex style) rather than deal
> with potential concurrency issues.  Until it is proven otherwise, it
> might be reasonable to assume that any scheme permitting interleaving
> is only going to be more complicated than the current scheme.  I am, of
> course, happy to be shown a scheme that enables interleaving without
> increasing complexity.

A mutex on HEADERS state should not prevent interleaving with DATA on other streams.

Even a mutex feels unnecessary. Break a huge header (lots of name/value pairs) into parts (each part is still a collection of name/value pairs so it looks like a header); then send the parts using the compress-into-a-frame process. Now interleaving around a frame for a part has no more restrictions than interleaving around a frame for a complete header.

There is one extra complexity: to support single header name/value pairs that can't fit in a frame.

--
James Manger