Re: #468 p2: Expectation extensions (was: Expect header 'understand' vs 'meet')

From: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 19:01:49 -0400
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, IETF HTTP WG <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Hi,

On 2013-08-10, at 5:00 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>> What we can do is define how "Expect: 100-continue" is implemented [...]
>
> I think we should deprecate Expect.
>
> Document the 100 and 417 responses for back- & bug-wards compatibility
> and write that clients SHOULD NOT send Expect.

Note that Expect is widely used for printing, specifically to avoid sending gigabytes of print data only to discover that you need to authenticate the request.

So I would be -1 on deprecating Expect.  It might not see consistent usage among generic web browsers, but it *is* consistently used for things like IPP.