Re: #473, was: p7: forwarding Proxy-*

On 2013-07-29 15:46, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2013-07-29 15:39, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 29, 2013, at 3:30 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity: why does the "SHOULD NOT" show up as "should not"?
>>
>> Cut and paste of the HTML in Safari loses the uppercasing applied by
>> the stylesheet, I think.
>
> If you look at the raw HTML; you'll see it has "SHOULD NOT" (exactly so
> that copy&paste does the expected thing). Bad Safari.

>>> OK.
>>>
>>> So maybe change
>>>
>>>   "Unlike WWW-Authenticate, the Proxy-Authenticate header field
>>> applies only to the current connection, and intermediaries SHOULD NOT
>>> forward it to downstream clients."

>>>   "Unlike WWW-Authenticate, the Proxy-Authenticate header field
>>> applies only to the current connection, and *proxies* SHOULD NOT
>>> forward it to downstream clients."
>>>
>>> This would allow non-proxy intermediaries to forward it.
>>>

>> I think we need to make it a more discretionary thing; e.g.,
>>
>> "Unlike WWW-Authenticate, the Proxy-Authenticate header field usually
>> applies to the current connection, and proxies generally will consume
>> it, rather than forwarding it to downstream clients."
>>
>> With similar changes for Proxy-Authorization.
>>
>> Make sense?
>
> Sounds good.
>
> Best regards, Julian

Proposed patch for Proxy-Authenticate:
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/473/473.diff>

Looking at Proxy-Authorization:

"Unlike Authorization, the Proxy-Authorization header field applies only
to the next outbound proxy that demanded authentication using the
Proxy-Authenticate field. When multiple proxies are used in a chain, the
Proxy-Authorization header field is consumed by the first outbound proxy
that was expecting to receive credentials. A proxy MAY relay the
credentials from the client request to the next proxy if that is the
mechanism by which the proxies cooperatively authenticate a given request."

...which seems to be correct already, right?

Best regards, Julian