Re: Additional status codes in HTTP/1.1

On 2013-07-25 10:39, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Then why are the other codes documented at all? They should be in the IANA
> registry! Some are so obsolete they're almost never used in the wild
> nowadays.

The registry is a set of pointers to specs. Each status code needs to be
in *some* spec.

If you think we should drop some specific codes, then please be more
specific about which, and why that would make the spec better.

> Even though the ietf process allows creation of new rfcs to extend past
> ones, the common practice has been to simplify implementor's lives and
> merge extensions when the extended rfc is revised. Is this process
> suddenly frowned upon?

The common practice *IMHO* is not to have to extend specs, but to have
proper extension points, plus registries. That's how HTTP works.

Best regards, Julian