Re: Authentication over HTTP

On 16 Jul 2013, at 08:26, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>> Authentication should happen either in the encrypting transport
>> which moves HTTP/2.0 across (as in certificates and assymetric crypto)
>> or in the application transported inside HTTP/2.0 (as in most web-site
>> login dialogs), but HTTP/2.0 itself should not get involved:  It
>> is the wrong layer.
>
> I agree.  Thus my proposal for RESTful authentication (with channel
> binding to TLS where available).  I don't believe user authentication
> in TLS will work out too well (it hasn't so far, and there are reasons
> why it should prove difficult; see my reply to Yoav's reply to
> Stefan).

RESTful authentication on the TLS level exists. We have been working for
it over the past 5 years, testing it over most well known languages, showing
how it works with distributed ACLs and distributed social networks. It's called
WebID.

The latest draft are here:

 WebID overview: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html
 WebID over TLS: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html
 a video is here: http://webid.info/

To try it out with WebAccess Control try

  https://github.com/stample/rww-play

Henry

> Nico
> --