Re: HTTP router point-of-view concerns

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 18:43:20 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
cc: Sam Pullara <spullara@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <20130713173222.GM32054@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 09:49:42AM -0700, Sam Pullara wrote:

>I'm sorry, but cookies are *not* evil.

Cookies are not evil, but they cause problems which HTTP/2.0 does not
need to cause.

"Automatic EU Cookie directive compliance" would be a really great
selling point.

>We could possibly support very short cookies (eg: 16 bit). That should be
>enough for most large deployments, and clearly not enough to track users.

I think it is smarter to both solve the cookie and session problems with
a single field.