Re: HTTP/2.0 -04 candidate

Agreed 100%.  Let's discuss more in SPDY land.

-stephen

From: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com<mailto:grmocg@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:15 PM
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com<mailto:martin.thomson@gmail.com>>
Cc: Sam Pullara <spullara@gmail.com<mailto:spullara@gmail.com>>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org<mailto:ietf-http-wg@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: HTTP/2.0 -04 candidate

Actually in this case I'm worried about latency more than the cost of additional connections!
I don't want to spend the extra RTs necessary to set up additional (and not that useful) SSL connections if it is avoidable.
Requiring that would make HTTP/2.0 significantly slower than HTTP/1 in many cases where domain sharding has been used. :(
-=R

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com<mailto:martin.thomson@gmail.com>> wrote:
On 2 July 2013 12:51, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com<mailto:grmocg@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Yes, there are cases where the mechanism spec'd in SPDY today is suboptimal.
> That seems like a poor reason to reject it, however, when the alternative is
> guaranteed suboptimality.

That's true, the coalescing that SPDY does won't work 100% of the
time, but the times where it does work will make (most) things better.
 If by better you mean fewer connections - and we're fairly sure that
is actually better.