Re: HTTP/2.0 -04 candidate

On Jul 2, 2013, at 10:36 AM, David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com> wrote:
> Reverse proxies are invisible to the client. Any trust issue is the same
> whether one connection or multiple connections are used when traffic
> ends up at the reverse proxy.
>
> There is a fundamental flaw in the orgin server security, if you can
> trust the server to deliver the original resource but can't trust it
> to deliver any pushed content referenced by that page. After all, if
> the server owner wants to break trust, it can just rewrite all the
> URLs in the base resource to refrence itself and then proxy the
> content which isn't local.

Browsers associate security with the origin server. If I can serve content from an arbitrary origin that is a problem without trust. Rewriting the  URLs with a different origin solves this problem and thus is not an issue.

> If we feel there is a security requirement here, it should be along
> the lines of:
>
>  The host name specified in a PUSH_PROMISE must have a DNS entry
>  which includes the IP address of server sending the PUSH_PROMISE.

This would allow one domain on a VPS serve content for any other domain on a VPS.

Sam