Re: Issue #155: Capping header compression index values

On 1 July 2013 14:40, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> The "it" is that index values can grow without limit if the
> compression implementation is not properly tuned.

There is a limit.  The available space diminishes with each addition.
Assuming empty string for both name and value, the default space of
2^12 can hold only 2^7 entries before running out of space, since each
entry is assigned a 2^5 octet overhead.  At that point, old values
drop off the end as new ones arrive.  That seems manageable to me.
2^5 or 2^6 might be better, since they fit in the prefix space, but
what's an extra byte between friends?

I don't see this as a problem at all.