Re: [#153] PUSH_PROMISE headers

On Jun 29, 2013, at 9:04 AM, David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com> wrote:

> I continue to suspect that PUSH_PROMISE is either not going to be
> heavily used on the general web or it is going to waste significant
> bandwidth and server capacity.

There's been very little talk (at list on-list) about how a server decides what resources to push. One way is to push down all the resources referenced from an HTML document. That would interact badly with caching, both in clients and in proxies.

Another possible approach is statistical. Begin with the server not pushing any resources, and then collect statistics. What percentage of requests for index.html were followed by requests for logo.gif? If that percentage is high enough, you add logo.gif to the resources pushed following index.html.  Once a resource is pushed, you keep another statistic of what percentages of pushes were rejected (with RST_STREAM). If that's above a certain (low) threshold, you stop pushing it.

Done this way, pushes will be mostly successful, and I don't see why they would waste significant bandwidth for the server.

Yoav