From: David Morris<mailto:dwm@xpasc.com>
Sent: ý6/ý28/ý2013 6:13 PM
To: HTTP Working Group<mailto:ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: HTTP Layer rework and PUSH_PROMISE contents

I think the SHOULD is pretty strong ... not referencing the outcomes
from the SF Interim, but I think I recall an acknowledgement in the
meetihg that the only way to preclude a race condition with the
client requesting what the server was going to promise was to have the
PUSH_PROMISE sent before any primary response references to the resource.

If this conditions isn't met, I foresee a lot of wasted bandwidth between
client initiated requests and PUSH_PROMISEs for the same resource. Also,
wasted server effort to serve the resource twice.

This issue could be quite important when the last mile to the client is
relatively slow OR the user pays for bandwidth.

I'm not arguing for MUST, but I think a mechanism will be required to
manage the downside if it isn't MUST. A setting or response flag that
gives the client a hint that PUSH_PROMISES are anticipated so the client
should avoid agressive parse/pre-fetch.