Re: Proposal - Reduce HTTP2 frame length from 16 to 12 bits

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a reverse proxy, I've seen properties for which 4k writes/reads were too
> small and induced latency increases.

I haven't played with this part too much yet but this is my general
suspicion also.

> Admittedly, frame size doesn't have to be the same as read/write size, but
> it certainly does encourage that implementation (which is, I think, the
> point of smaller max frame size that you proposed).
>
> I propose we keep the 16 bit frame size and instead allow the (now
> negotiated setting of) max frame size to default to 12 bits worth, with that
> going upwards out downwards when a settings frame arrives from the other
> side indicating it's max receive size. HK

Honestly, I'd prefer to do away with frame size negotiation altogether
because of the potential for path mtu style issues. Keeping the 16-bit
size for now with strong encouragement (SHOULD, perhaps?) for keeping
sizes around 12-bit lengths for the most common cases  seems like the
right approach.

-- James