Re: Design Issue: Separate HEADERS and PRIORITY Frames, Eliminate HEADERS+PRIORITY

1) I'm not worried about prioritization after stream start-- that race is
unavoidable :)
2) Agreed. Happy to handle this complexity-- it requires that I allocation
nothing new. At worst I remove the stream from the priority structure and
re-add, or simply report that the stream is already dead.
3) This is what I'm unhappy about. PRIORITY before HEADERS means that I
have an additional state transition and more state to track.
I agree that it seems more simple on the surface, but I also think that a
decoupled PRIORITY frame leads to more code complexity given the need to
handle client-directed priority for responses at the server.

It is actually more complex to decouple these at stream initiation time,
since, at stream initiation time, I want to know both what I'm doing, and
how important it is. A lack of one or the other leads to additional state
tracking, additional lookups, races, ambiguity over when the proxy should
begin to make connections, etc.

As an example, in a world where PRIORITY is decoupled from HEADERS, what
happens in the race where I've reset the stream after receiving the
PRIORITY frame, but before receiving the HEADERS frame?

client sends Priority(x),stream(3)
client sends Headers(x),stream(3)

server receives Priority(x), stream(3)
server sends RST stream(3)
server receives Headers(x), stream(3)
... now what?

I see a few obvious outcomes, none of which seem appealing to me:
1) The server processes the request, but now without knowledge of the
priority
2) The server keeps track of streams it has reset for some time period
(this would have to be a map or similar) and times them out after some time
period (e.g. sends a PING and awaits the PONG)
3) The server is disallowed from sending the RST before it has received
HEADERS, and must maintain the additional data that is perhaps not ever
useful

In the case where we have HEADERS+PRIORITY, and where stream creation is
accomplished ONLY via HEADERS or HEADERS+PRIORITY, this mess goes away.
Yes, we still have reprioritization to deal with, but with the guarantee of
the previous sentence, if I see a PRIORITY for a stream I don't know, I
just ignore it (and generate a RST stream with appropriate error code)

In a world where we agree that streams are only started by some explicit
thing (HEADERS*), the code is also more simple, because I don't have to
maintain state to see what streams have finished vs never created, etc.
etc. and because there are fewer races and less ambiguity.

-=R