Re: WGLC: p1 MUST NOT pipeline until connection is persistent

On 05/01/2013 12:52 AM, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> I think that it was the reason why it's suggested somewhere that pipelining
> should only be done on connections that we know are persistent (ie after a
> first response)

That "somewhere" may be the above MUST NOT requirement we are discussing
on this thread :-).

>> Let's start with (a): To know that a connection "is persistent", the
>> client has to receive a response on that connection. This implies that
>> the client MUST NOT retry a failed pipelined request on a connection it
>> just opened.

I know what I was missing: The client may send a retry request on a new
connection. The above MUST NOT prohibits _pipelining_ on a new
connection, but does not prohibit sending a single request on that
connection. That resolves my concern about stuck clients.

I am still not sure why we are prohibiting retry pipelining on new
connections though. Why do we have to reuse an old connection if we want
to retry a failed pipeline?

Thank you,

Alex.