Re: new version of Flow Control Principles

Osama, Jitu, Will, Roberto, Rob, Salvatore and Gabriel,

That's an excellent draft.  It looks to me like you have largely carried
forward the benefit of the research community's experience with TCP,
where algorithms evolved over a several decades, but the actual control
mechanism has been all but entirely stable.

One or two comments:

>    5.  HTTP 2.0 should only standardize the format of the window update
>        message and its semantics.  In particular, the algorithms used by
>        the receiver to decide when to send window update messages, and
>        how much to update the window by, are not mandated in the spec.
>        The draft should, however, provide some illustrative examples.

The receiver chooses the algorithm through control of the window size.
Therefore, would it make sense to go further in (5) and state that the
choice of such algorithms is strictly a matter for the receiver?

And then on this point:

>    NOTE: Whether flow control operates on a per-stream basis, on a per-
>    session (per-TCP connection) basis or on both a per-stream and a per-
>    session basis is TBD.

Per-session flow control would certainly be required if you're not using
TCP or SCTP.  If you are, what is the value of additional flow control
at the session level?  Is there any desire for HTTP over UDP (not that I
would necessarily object to the notion)?

Eliot