Re: Queries re P6

Hi Mark

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>

>>>in 4.2 may I suggest some wording changes.
>>>
>>>Para 2 does not indicate that it's not valid to add If-Modified-Since unless there was a Last-Modified header in the stored response.
>>>
>>>E.g. instead of
>>>
>>>"When sending such a conditional request, a cache adds an If-Modified-Since header field whose value is that of the Last-Modified header field from the selected (see Section 4.3) stored response, if available."
>>>
>>>maybe it should read something like
>>>
>>>"If the selected stored response contains a Last-Modified header, a cache SHOULD add an If-Modified-Since header field whose value is that of the Last-Modified header field from the selected stored response."
>>>
>>>Likewise Para 3 and If-None-Match. E.g instead of
>>>
>>>"Additionally, a cache can add an If-None-Match header field whose value is that of the ETag header field(s) from all responses stored for the requested URI, if present...."
>>>
>>>maybe
>>>
>>>"Additionally if any stored response contains an ETag header field, a cache SHOULD add an If-None-Match header whose value(s) are the ETag header field(s) from all stored responses for the requested URI."
>>>

>>I don't object to doing this; does anyone else?
>>

>Looking at this again, I'm not sure what making them requirements really buys us here. I'd be OK with adding some prose that says that creating IMS from values other than the LM from the origin is problematic, if that would address your concern.

I'd tend to agree.  My main point was that it wasn't explicit that you
can't insert If-Modified-Since if you don't have a stored Last-Modifed
(e.g .could be construed to allow adding an empty If-Modified-Since and
If-None-Match), and likewise that you can't insert If-None-Match if you
have no Etags.

Cheers

Adrien