Re: RFC: draft-brown-device-stock-ua-00.txt

On 11/7/12 2:50 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> ... and why must a new header be added with identical usage, syntax and
> handling as User-Agent be created to perform User-Agent operations?
> In section 4 the example does not match the BNF.
>
> Following the format:
>     Device-Stock-UA = "Device-Stock-UA" ":" (User-Agent)
>     User-Agent = <Defined in RFC2616 Section 14.43>
>
> We get:
>         Device-Stock-UA: User-Agent: CERN-LineMode/2.15 libwww/2.17b3
>

> Correcting that mistake the uselessness of creating this header becomes
> completely obvious:
>
> {{
>    Device-Stock-UA = "Device-Stock-UA" ":" 1*( product | comment )
>    User-Agent      = "User-Agent"      ":" 1*( product | comment )
> }}

It's the identical usage, syntax, and handling, but for two different
products installed on the same device.  It's an optional header and  not
without precedent; transcoders also use this model. Perhaps most
importantly, it's compatible with existing device adaptation practices.

> You might as well define this as a listing of ALL software, Java class,
> active component, and hardware chip serial number installed on the
> device. Just in case some marketer or website wigit *might* want to
> know. Do you see the problem? If not have a look at IE6 UA string after
> a few hundred KB patches have been applied - utter mess useful only to
> help malicious attackers target specific missing patches.

Again: this header, if sent, would reveal marginally more than what the
native HTTP client reveals. It would certainly reveal no more than what
client-side feature detection reveals (the navigator.plugins object, for
example). It's about the same risk that exists with any sort of user
agent string change.

--
Tiffany Brown, Developer Relations & Tools
Opera Software ASA (www.opera.com)