Re: Updated Binary Optimized Header Encoding Draft

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Ashok Kumar <ashokkumar.j@gmail.com> wrote:

> So according to this, if you need multiple binary encoded values, then the
> values themselves can't contain NUL. If they do, then does framing layer
> take responsibility of escaping it or base-64 encode the entire value?

Yes, that is one existing limitation of this mechanism that I have not
entirely worked out a great solution for.

fwiw, I'm not yet convinced that bohe is something we absolutely need, I
submitted the draft to contribute concrete thoughts to the overall
discussion. There are certainly many such details that would need to be
considered.

> Also, since its very common that clients get updated/upgraded almost (or
> should I say atleast) once a month, and servers/proxies get upgraded only
> when there are some critical patches, how do the two agree on registered
> headers? (this example may be wrong, but let's say, x-forwarded-for becomes
> Forwarded), What is the behavior if the client/server is sending an ID
> which is beyond what the host knows?

The integer values for each header would be established via (and assigned
by) the IANA registry. The behavior when an unknown ID is encountered is no
different than when an unknown header is included in a http/1.1 request or
response. Generally, they will be ignored and passed through untouched.

- James