Re: Content-Length and 304

On Sep 22, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> I would like to be able to add in new response codes if that looks like it is useful.
>
> That is not possible if sending an unknown response code causes an existing client to lose framing. All that a client needs to know at present is how to interpret the first digit of the code. Provided the unknown code is a 1xx, 2xx, 3xx, 4xx or 5xx as appropriate then the client should not break.
>
> The rules seem to be designed to allow this behavior but some people seem to have implemented them in ways that introduce ambiguity. What I am suggesting is that we tighten the guidance so that the ambiguity is eliminated. That does not cause any loss of backwards compatibility and it improves forward compatibility. I think that is a win-win.

See the quoted text. "All other responses do include a message body,
although it may be of zero length."

What you suggested (don't send Content-Length) means the body size
is unknown and the client continues reading until the connection is
closed.  That's the only way it could have been defined given that
HTTP/1.0 existed before C-L was defined for framing.  It seems
to work well enough.

....Roy