Re: Content-Length and 304

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:43:58AM -0500, Zhong Yu wrote:
> How about HTTP/1.0 clients, as far as you know - if the connection is
> keep-alive, can they handle 204/304 framing correctly if
> Content-Length is missing, or set to a non-zero value. What's the best
> effort to keep a 1.0 connection alive when responding 204/304? Or is
> it safer to just close the connection after responding.

I don't know but it would be a waste of resource to close on 304, since
it's designed to be fast. However, you should note that keep-alive was
not specified in 1.0 and was just implemented on top of the spec. So it
is very likely that some implementations will differ.

FWIW, on the implementation where I observed the truncated objects
behaviour with "Content-Length: 0", the connection was made in HTTP/1.0
and was not using keep-alive. I *think* it was Apache 1.3.12 with
mod_proxy.

Regards,
Willy