Re: HTTP 1.1 --> 2.0 Upgrade

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:55:05AM +0300, Yoav Nir wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2012, at 11:32 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
>

> > On 8/20/12 10:16 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> There's been a recent discussion about signaling support for HTTP 2.0 in the DNS. I think that is a good way to go about it, but it doesn't cover all cases.
> >>
> >> I believe there is value in an upgrade mechanism, for example for home routers and other devices that use HTTP for configuration long before (if ever) they have DNS entries, let alone SRV records.
> >
> > What about using bonjour / mdns / etc?
>
> Like DNS SRV records, it's great when it works, but both are often filtered (or not implemented)

Or not applicable. Think about how many web developers connect to
$IP:$PORT during their development phase and have tens of available
ip:port combinations to test various software versions/variants
without any DNS being aware of them.

We must never forget that what made HTTP succeed is also the fact that
it's self-contained, does not require additional side-band protocols,
works end-to-end over a single connection and is 100% NAT-friendly by
not storing any IP-related information anywhere.

Willy