Re: In Defense of Header Compresson

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <
> henrikn@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I completely agree that if you have very small entity bodies then
>> maturally the header size will matter getting more requests into the pipe
>> faster. However, in the tests that we have done with actual data the size
>> of the entity bodies was large enough that the impact was minimal. This is
>> especially the case if you also do bundling/minification as it naturally
>> leads you to large entities.

It's worth keeping in mind that we're seeing more and more web
"applications", as opposed to pages. Frameworks like backbone, angular,
etc, all frequently make very small (usually JSON encoded) requests to
indicates record updates, or to pull specific objects on demand, from an
HTTP endpoint.. All of that to say: many of these requests are just a few
hundred bytes. Your typical CRUD operations are all great examples: a lotta
headers for a tiny payload and a 204 response. The overhead there is huge,
which is why we're seeing people starting to invent their own protocols.
e.g. SwaggerRocket:
http://blog.wordnik.com/introducing-swaggersocket-a-rest-over-websocket-protocol

They shouldn't have to do this...

Ilya