Re: FYI... Binary Optimized Header Encoding for SPDY

James M Snell wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> This is precisely why I favor the introduction of a binary value option
and
>>> the definition of highly-optimized binary encodings for the most
commonly
>>> used protocol headers (like method, version, etc). Things like Host and
>>> Request URI need to be looked at tho. I suspect that, for a variety of
>>> reason, we'll want to keep limiting those values to ASCII only.  (just
>>> because the value COULD be UTF-8, doesn't mean a specific header
definition
>>> cannot limit the actual value to some reasonable subset).
>>

>> For the Host header, I have just three letters to say to you: I-D-N. :-)
>

> You mean Internationalized Domain Names, and specifically U-Labels (the
thing that can actually be read the way it's intended to read, rather than
some useless salad of letters after xn--)? I fully agree. The reason these
are in punycode in HTTP/1.1 is that HTTP/1.1 is way older than IDNs, but
for HTTP/2.0, that's not the case.

+1... while I recognize there are a list of concerns with their use, it
would be excellent to avoid having to punycode those or apply other
different encoding mechanisms to other headers as well.