Re: usability of 100-continue, was: HTTP2 Expression of Interest : Squid

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 03:20:47PM -0500, Zhong Yu wrote:
> I always feel that this mechanism - ask permission first - should be
> addressed by the app protocol, not by HTTP.

Except that it's more expensive at the application layer as it requires
two HTTP requests to have it right. And conditions might change between
the two requests, especially if a load balancer in the middle switches
the server between the two requests.

HTTP is there to abstract the transport channel to the application layer,
let's ensure it does it right if we can.

Anyway this limitation is properly described in draft-20 so this is fine.
It's just another trap developpers will need to be aware of.

Willy