Re: usability of 100-continue, was: HTTP2 Expression of Interest : Squid

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 09:41:58AM -0700, Roberto Peon wrote:
> I wish that POST actually meant "here is something that changes state" and
> GET meant "nope,  of changing any state", but both are lies today as far as
> I can tell.
>
> POST generally means : here is  form input or here is a file, which
> sometimes changes state and sometimes doesn't.

For some developers it's even worse : "GET is cacheable while POST isn't" !
When you hear this you know you have a long road to go to help them fix
their issues...

> I believe this failure to be the result of not exposing rich enough (and
> fully HTTP) semantics to the browser JavaScript and thus having forced the
> web application writers to make do with what they had.
>
> I believe at this point that we should probably amend the spec to state the
> common practice as a warning to anyone who makes assumptions about
> idempotency.

I think the current spec is already clear on this, but maybe at one point
we should collect most common urban legends and drop them into a separate
RFC.

Willy