Re: HTTP without being HTTPS all the time

In message <20120719202349.GA19857@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:

>The risk of loading insecure
>JS code during the HTTP phase which sets known cookies for the HTTPS
>phase for instance exists.

Only because cookies should never be used that way.  The only safe
cookies are signed identifying nonces, used to look up client/session
state in a database table on the server-side.

Storing information in cookies is plain wrong no matter what you are
trying to do security wise.

>for moderately complex sites, better be either all clear or all secure.

Dual-mode the way I described, seems much used in "regular"
web-commerce:  You don't need protection until you're willing to
fork over money.